Sunday, August 09, 2009

Health update

I went to Birmingham last Wednesday to meet with my new GI doctor. I REALLY like him! He sat and talked to me for 20 minutes and we went over all my symptoms and all the tests I have had. He said he was pretty sure I had inflammatory bowel disease, but he couldn't decide if it was Chron's or ulcerative colitis. He is treating me for ulcerative colitis. I have a VERY LONG list of food and drinks to avoid, and I have to take a pill in the morning and afternoon. I also had to go to the lab and give blood. He wants to rule out being allergic to wheat and a few other things. In 5 weeks I go back after my blood work is in and he has reviewed all my history. He said they are going to put me to sleep and put a tube down my throat and go into my stomach and intestines that way. Not very excited about having inflammatory bowel disease, but am VERY excited to finally have some answers and a WONDERFUL doctor!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am very excited for you to finally have a doctor that you like. Maybe we can actually get some definite answers now...

Jill said...

I keep meaning to tell you this and I don't know if it's already been ruled out but a friend of my from PC has Celiac Disease. It's an allergy to gluten (anything with wheat, rye and barley). If you haven't already been tested for that...look it up. Good luck! see you this weekend.

Sonya said...

I actually got tested for this at my doctor's visit. I haven't heard anything back from the doctor, but I'm supposed to avoid gluten until my test results are back. See you Saturday!!